Riot will update the pricing system for League of Legends champions to help new and returning players.
Riot Games has revealed that it will make significant changes to boost the League of Legends ecosystem. Among these changes is the new pricing system for League of Legends champions.
League of Legends new pricing model for champions
In a video, Riot acknowledged that the current pricing model is too old. The change will make things easier for new and returning players.
The new pricing system for League of Legends champions will still take a champion's age into account. However, instead of counting by new champions before them, it will now be by how many seasons the champion has been in the game.
This means new champions will initially have a high price, but this will change as time goes on. After the first week, the prices of these champions will be reduced. There will also be a further discount after the champion spends two seasons in the game. These champions will be placed in a tier based on data from players.
Furthermore, champions with visual updates, core gameplay updates, or mid-scope updates that change tiers may also get price updates depending on popularity. This allows Riot to raise the prices for champions getting visual or gameplay updates.
Champion prices tier list
Here's the tier list for champion prices:
- 450 BE / 260 RP - Champions that are awesome for new players.
- 1350 BE / 585 RP - Champions that are a bit more complex than the lower tier, but still approachable for interested folks.
- 3150 BE / 790 RP - Champions that have a higher degree of difficulty or specialization in their play.
- 4444 BE / 880 RP - Only perfection and beauty are allowed at this tier.
- 4800 BE / 880 RP - The majority of the roster will live here.
- 6300 BE / 975 RP - Champions that have come out in the past two seasons, after which they will move to the tier above after the next season starts.
- 7800 BE / 975 RP - Champions that have come out in the past week.
So, easy beginner champions like Yuumi and Miss Fortune will cost less while the likes of K'Sante will cost more. Moreover, Riot will also increase prices for certain champions that are good but difficult for beginners. This list includes Ryze, Kayle, Singed, and Twisted Fate. All four champions will have their Blue Essence cost increased to 4800, but RP cost will stay at 260 RP.
New champion bundles
Additionally, Riot is creating champion bundles for new players to allow them to get multiple champions from different tiers at a cheaper price. This will save new players plenty of Blue Essence. The champion bundles cover a variety of gameplay roles within each tier and will allow beginners to have multiple options to start with.
The changes to the pricing system will be live worldwide in patch 13.5 scheduled for release on March 8.