Fortnite servers not responding: How to fix and what it means
Trying to play some Fortnite but being hit with an annoying “Fortnite servers not responding” error message? Here’s our guide on how to troubleshoot it.
Ready to play some Fortnite, but you’ve been hit with a frustrating “Fortnite servers not responding” error message? It’s the worse, but luckily we’re here to help with a handy guide on what that error means and how to fix it. Keep reading to find out!
How to fix the Fortnite server offline or not responding error
If you’re getting the Fortnite servers not responding error, you’re likely encountering one of two things:
- A client-side issue, as in, your own PC has a problem connecting to the servers
- The Fortnite servers are down for maintenance or updates
Luckily there’s an easy way to troubleshoot most of these issues. First thing to do is to check the Fortnite server status.
Here's how to do that:
Check is Epic Games Public Status website. This site will list all of Epic Games’ online services and tell you about any outages that may be taking place in Fortnite right now. So if the servers are down, check this website as soon as possible! If the servers are showing as up, it’s likely you have a client side issue.
How to fix Fixing a client side connection issue to Fortnite
Client side issues with connecting to Fortnite are common and easy to fix.
- Start off by restarting your PC, restarting your router, and checking your internet service provider (ISP) isn’t having connection issues.
- Next make sure Fortnite is whitelisted in your antivirus software and other security apps, including Windows Security.
- Updates to both Fortnite and your antivirus software or OS can change or remove the whitelists, so make sure you’re up to date.
- If all this fails, check the official Epic Games website, and report your issue directly.
Why are the Fortnite servers offline/down?
If the Fortnite servers are down, it’s usually due to updates and maintenance. Don’t worry too much, as these usually only take a few hours to fix and resolve. It’s annoying, but sometimes patience is the only way to solve this issue!